Friday, February 5, 2010

isn't it glovely...

so i have always had this uber-love for fingerless gloves.  lets call them glovelies, because lets face it, they are the perfect accessory and quite lovely.  anything that i can wear to keep my hands toasty warm and eat at the same time without the worry of getting fuzz in my mouth is lovely to me.

when i was in college (early 2000's) you could never find them in Texas.  so i would just dream of them.  i then came across a pair in Conneticut that fit so well it was as if they fell right out of one of my daydreams. anyway, since then i go out of my way to find them. the quirkier the better.  i love the idea of them.  i love the way they look.  when i'm wearing them i feel like i just stepped out of the above mentioned daydream where i am the extra-fit supernatural being (i.e. Kate Beckinsale).  don't ask me why, its just one of those rainy-day famtasies.  lately i have decided that i can no longer find gloves that fit the spunk needed to fuel my ongoing obsession.  to remedy this i have taken up the art of making my own.  now let me let you in on a little secret.  i have no natural talent.  so if it is possible i am trying to create myself some talent.  here is my first pair of glovelies that i have completed. 


they are for my chiquitita so they are oh-so-tiny.  she looks precious in them.  they are plain but still quite lovely.  see for yourself...



so now that she has some uber-cute glovelies to keep her toasty it was time to set out to make my own.  easy, peasy right?  wrong.  this is a lot harder than it looks!  making these bad boys take skill and some form of mathing ability.  look, you can tell i don't have any mathing abilities because i don't even think mathing is a word!  but fun to use nonetheless.  so i am teaching myself how to do this and i am keeping patterns and what not.  i have been quite successful so far.  now don't get me wrong.  i have thrown away many a tubesock due to epic failure.  but i see the light at the end of the tunnel.  i have started with fleece seeing how it is the easiest fabric to work with.  i will soon move on to a jersey knit since it will be summer here in just a few short months.  i think glovelies are totally functional for summer as well.  who doesn't go to the movies and freeze?  how about church?  chilly much?  so, still functional and fashionable all at the same time in all seasons. 

as i (hopefully) get better after much trial and error my glovelies should start to develop a little bit more personality.  right now i am keeping it simple until i am a pro.  i will post some photos of the grown-up glovelies later.

until next time...

Monica

1 comment:

  1. Look at Lilly's glovelies!

    Remember when you and I made shirts out of old t-shirts?

    ReplyDelete